Friday, April 23, 2010

Who Watches the Watchers?

There are seven television shows, total, that I'm currently watching.  They're not necessarily the best or most popular but they entertain well enough and that's all I'm looking for.  As I've stated in the past, I'm not a reality show fan.  You'll find none of those on my list.  Nor do I watch a lot of sports.  I do not find most very exciting in a spectator role.  That being said, this is what I have:
Currently, Monday is occupied by 24.  This, I think, is my guilty pleasure.  It is over-the-top, preposterous action and I've watched it loyaly for the past 5 of its 8 seasons.  It's about to wrap up its run (at least on Fox), so I'll be freed up on Monday nights before long.
Tuesday is LOST and V.  The former is coming to a close as well, and it has been a wild ride.  Did not miss an episode of this one and I hope the finale' is satisfying (2 hrs. on Sunday, May 23rd).  V, however, is just 'meh'.  Having watched the original series, I'm not seeing anything new here.  Once LOST is done and the new Syfy Tuesday lineup kicks off, I won't be going out of my way to watch.  It's catching me with its LOST lead-in right now.
Wednesday is Ghost Hunters.  While some list this as a "reality show", it is more of a documentary style investigation as opposed to the standard competition/drama.  As long as they remain legitimate, I'll continue to follow these guys.  Sometimes I catch Destination Truth afterwords,  but I consider it to be the National Enquirer of paranormal investigative shows (all flash and no substance).  It can be fun, though.
Thursday, of course, is Fringe.  One of the most intellectual speculative fiction dramas on television right now.  Created by the team that gave you Alias, LOST and the new Star Trek movie, how could it not be good?
Friday is Stargate Universe.  Quite a change from previous incarnations of the franchise, this show is very dark and gritty.  Some of the most humor I've seen displayed was on tonight's episode "Human" and it was mixed with its fair share of drama.
Saturday is now occupied by the new season of Doctor Who on BBC America.  The resurrection of this franchise has been quite a spectacle.  I enjoyed it back when it was hokey rubber costumes and cardboard sets.  Now it's top-notch science fiction.  I'll check out a Syfy original movie on Saturday night from time-to-time but it really depends on the subject matter (not as big on their disaster-of-the-month story as others).
Sundays are usually wide open.  Kind of a TV wasteland for me.  I used to watch Desperate Housewives but they were really, really finished after season 1.  I tried to watch more but it just got predictable and stupid.
Well, I think that's it for now.  This list will change when the off-season series start back up this summer.  Shows like Warehouse 13 (definitely) and possibly the new series Haven may draw me in.  We'll have to see.  Until next time my minions...

No comments:

Post a Comment