Friday, September 24, 2010

Fall TV (Part 2)

Monday Leftovers

I caught up on Chase on NBC, Monday nights via the old DVR.  The pilot was lackluster with no character development.  I think the criminal-of-the-week had more screen time than any of the stars.  It appears U.S. Marshalls, operating out of what looks like a giant museum rotunda in Houston, do not have to abide by any laws to get their man.  This is evidenced by the amount of doors they busted in without a warrant and the damage they caused and just laughed about.  Example: In the first three minutes they chased a suspect through crowded streets, caused a stampede (you heard me) which caused what they reported to be $17,000 in property damage.  Their response to this news, “Ha, ha, ha!”  Evidently, no one on the team has a personal life and their boss has no real authority over them as they just kind of ignore him and do their own thing.  Using U.S. Marshalls in Texas, it just seems like the writers were trying to fill the void left by Walker: Texas Ranger, but not as well done (yes, really).  Maybe this show could develop into something if it wasn’t up against Castle and the new Hawaii Five –O in the same time slot.  Both of these shows are infinitely better.  I’ll make a prediction, Chase won’t see a second season, at least not on Monday night.

Wednesday and Thursday

I know there’s a lot out there on Wednesday on network TV, and Syfy has new episodes of Ghost Hunters which is usually interesting, but the only show that I was truly wanting to check out was The Defenders.  Starring Jim Belushi and Jerry O’Connell, it’s about lawyers in Las Vegas.  It’s well done and plays out very much like Boston Legal.  I guess calling it ‘Vegas Legal’ would have been too obvious.  If people will switch the channel from one of NBC’s countless Law and Order programs, it may have a chance of making it.

Thursday night sitcoms were back starting with Big Bang Theory (now on its new night), and the premiere of $#*! My Dad Says (officially pronounced  Bleep My Dad Says) starring William Shatner, Jonathan Sadowski, Will Sasso and Nicole Sullivan.  ‘Big Bang’ was good, as always, but ‘My Dad Says’ got off to a rough start.  The biggest problem for me was that Sadowski, portraying the son, seemed very uncomfortable with doing a comedic role.  His delivery was rushed and choppy.  The pacing was just off.  Shatner, however, was pretty good.  He has slipped in to a comedic persona over the past several years and I think it suits him well.  Sasso and Sullivan, both MadTv veterans held up ok too.  The writing needs to be tweaked a bit, but if they can find their legs, and Sadowski can loosen up, they may be OK.

Next was the long awaited return of Fringe.  Transitioning between two “realities” this season should prove to be interesting as several actors will get to portray different personalities of their same characters.  According to the writers, each episode will take place mostly in one setting or the other to avoid a lot of jumping around.  The season premiere was good and I’m looking forward to see how it plays out.  It’s one of the few ‘smart’ science fiction shows on right now.

Friday

The final season of Smallville returns to the CW in the 8 o’clock time slot.  I’ve watched this off and on over the years and it’s generally ok, though they’ve taken the Superman story and turned it completely upside down.  If you can ignore that, you’re fine.  However, I’ll probably be tuning in to Fox’s Human Target whose first season turned out to be a surprise hit.  A mid-season replacement, many people liked the smart, fun, action-filled show.  Though it’s over-the-top most of the time, it is heads above most of the competition in terms of quality and acting.  Medium returns to NBC in the same slot but, judging from the preview, it looks like it may be “jumping the shark”.  The season premiere does a Freaky Friday storyline where mother and daughter switch bodies.  Taking a supernatural-drama and turning it into a Disney comedy just doesn’t sound like it will work.  Oh, well.  I gave up on that show after the first season when I realized every week was the exact same story.  Several other shows are returning or debuting on Friday, but there are only so many programs the DVR can hold…

Saturday and Sunday

Saturday doesn’t offer much in the way of compelling television programming and I think the same can be said about Sunday, though I’m sure one would argue that the Simpsons and Family Guy represent gripping  social commentary.  Most everything else is just stupid reality shows and the even more stupid Desperate Housewives which had its best storyline in season one and has been hanging around like an unwanted house guest ever since.

Well, that’s all I’ve got for now.  Though I’ve covered quite a bit of ground on this it should be noted that my total television viewing really only amounts to about 5 or 6 hours per week on average.  I pick the best-of-the best for my tastes and move on.  I’d like to think I have a life….

No comments:

Post a Comment