Tuesday, September 21, 2010

'Tis The Season.... For Fall TV (Part 1)

Monday and Tuesday


Well, Baseball season is closing in on its finale and Football season is kicking off (get it).  It’s also time for all the new and returning Fall shows.  I’ll be watching as many as I can to try to get an idea which ones to put on my (usually short) list of must-see-tv.

Monday night:

Started off with NBC’s Chuck.  I’ve watched it on and off over its first 3 seasons and have always enjoyed it.  That’s not to say I’ve gone out of my way to make it one of my staple programs but it’s a nice diversion when I have time.  The writing and acting are always top-notch and the recent string of guest stars has been cool.  Monday night was no exception.  Both Dolph Lundgren AND Linda Hamilton were on the season premiere with Hamilton playing Chuck’s long lost mother.  For the uninitiated, Chuck is about an electronic store clerk/geek who inadvertently gets drawn in to the world of spy vs. spy due to an accident that leaves him able to experience “flashes” of pertinent knowledge about the international intelligence agencies’ confidential data.  Also, as of last season, he can tap into Matrix-like knowledge of martial arts to kick some butt.  The show’s a lot of fun…

I stayed tuned into NBC for the series premiere of The Event.  It has been described as a combination of 24 and Lost and that actually turns out to be a pretty accurate assessment.  It has the mystery/thriller aspect of Lost with the pacing and action of 24 and just a touch of Sci-Fi thrown in for good measure.  What is THE event?  It appears that will be revealed as the story moves along and the writers have promised you’ll find out sooner rather than later.  They reportedly have this mapped out to tell the story prior to, during and then after the event and there will be none of this “making it up as they go” B.S.  It’s off to a good start and may be added to my list if they can keep up the good work.

At this point I switched over for the series premiere of the new Hawaii Five-O on CBS (I did DVR NBC’s Chase but haven’t watched yet).  This show was a big surprise for me.  My expectations were low due to all of the re-imagings and re-boots going on right now, most of which are bad.  This show, however, was really good.  It has a great cast that works well together, lots of action and humor.  Plus, it’s in Hawaii, what more can you ask for!  This one should make it if people can find it at 10pm on a Monday.  I, personally, can see myself tuning in to a combo of The Event and H5-O on Monday night.  I’ll just have to see how Chase turns out.  From what I’ve seen, it looks like a female version of Walker: Texas Ranger.


Tuesday night:

Not a lot on the agenda except for the season (or is it mid-season, I never can tell with Syfy) finale of Warehouse 13.  I can’t say enough good things about this program.  It just does everything right and it’s a lot of fun.  Next Tuesday, however, is the season premiere of Stargate Universe.  I’ve been waiting for this one.  The first season was great and I’m looking forward to see where they will take the story next.  This chapter of the franchise is a lot more serious than the past outings but it is very well done.

I haven’t tuned in to any of the new sitcoms yet, but I can only stand so much of that.  Looking forward to the premieres of Big Bang Theory and $#*! My Dad Says with Shatner on Thursday, though.

Well, that’s all until I get to see a few more shows this week.  Talk atchya later….

No comments:

Post a Comment