Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Come Sail Away....

So I went to see classic rockers Styx this past weekend, well at least the current incarnation anyway. They only have one full-time member that is from the original band and one that has been with them since their fifth album tour in 1975. Their original bass player still sits in when he can and was there for this show.
At any rate, they still got it. After about 38 years, 15 studio albums, several live albums and numerous line-up changes, they still put on a great show. Lots of energy, and always fan-friendly. Of course the length of their set has gone from well over 2 hours down to about 90 minutes. I guess they're starting to show their age a little bit.
I could go on for quite a while as this is my favorite band and I know way to many trivial factoids about them. However, I will keep it brief. Suffice it to say, we had a good time. They played most of the hits, we were hooked up with great seats (courtesy of their PR guy and Road Manager...Thank You), and we made it back home before midnight. I'll throw some grainy camera phone pics on here for your perusal.
It is a shame that I have to find these classic bands that are still touring just so I can see a great show with talented performers who can write good music. We're missing that in this current generation. I doubt anyone will be going to see many of today's bands in concert 30 years from now, but that is a discussion for another time.....

2 comments:

  1. What are you saying? No good talent? What about Spears and Jessica simpson? I can't wait to see them 30 years from now. What a side show that will be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even reply to that. I am at a loss for words.

    ReplyDelete